Our research aims to addresses urgent needs of stroke patients in the domains of acute therapies, prevention, and rehabilitation to improve the quality of life and life expectancy.
Over the next few years we aim to:
- Investigate biomarkers in blood such as red blood cell membrane and cholesterol.
- Progress pilot experimental medicine studies on stroke vaccination and on Carnosine.
- Pilot non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation in motor stroke rehabilitation.
- Initiate trials on remote conditioning in post-stroke fatigue.
- Develop imaging biomarkers (including PET-MRI protocols) of progression (e.g. carotid plaque and inflammation in stroke).
- Harness our assistive technology programme to deliver one device for symptomatic benefit.
Our multidisciplinary research strategy encompasses preclinical stroke therapy development, acute stroke trials, biomarker studies, and stroke recovery and rehabilitation trials. We collaborate with Imaging, and Engineering colleagues on innovative collaborative cerebrovascular research.